For months on end, Lucy’s favorite book when she was 2 was The Little Engine That Could. Every night I would read her that story, emphasizing the chugging noises as the only kind engine of the bunch, the tiniest engine out there, tried to pull all those train cars up the hill. I think I can I think I can I think I can. Lucy always cheered when they made it.
We’re hoping that we’ll be cheering at 6 am on October 30th, when our Kickstarter campaign to bring the Gluten-Free Girl Flour Blends to market is successful. In the meantime, we’re just chugging and working, pulling all these train cars up the hill. We think we can we think we can we think we can….
Tomorrow we’ll be halfway through our campaign. And if you help us push forward today, we could be more than 50% funded! We are so grateful to every one of the 643 backers so far who have pledged toward our goal. Thank you. But we still have a long way to go.
We want to give you a quick update of where we are so far and what we’re offering.
* We truly do believe these will be the best gluten-free flour blends on the market and we think you will too.
* Our All-Purpose Flour Blend is 40% whole grain and formulated to work without xanthan or guar gum. It’s the flour you want when you want to make pies, cakes, and other treats.
(See those pumpkin cupcakes with coconut sugar frosting up there? They are made with our All-Purpose Flour. They’re dairy-free, as well. Those pumpkin spice latte cupcakes are adapted from a recipe by the incredible Allison Robicelli. This adapted version could be one of the recipes we’re offering in the exclusive PDF of recipes for those who pledge to the Kickstarter at $25 or higher.)
* Our Grain-Free Flour Blend is higher in protein and lower in carbohydrates than most flours. It’s great for everyday baking: flatbreads, sourdough bread, muffins, and quick breads. And it’s for everyone who cannot tolerate grains.
* Over time, our goal is to make both the flour blends organic and non-GMO certified. Both will require more money. If you help us fund the Kickstarter even more fully than the required goal, we can make that happen more quickly.
* We’ve been offering daily specials all week long and they have gone fast. Last week we offered a private dinner for 4 at our kitchen studio on Vashon. That sold out within a few hours! We also offered a Thanksgiving gluten-free baking class at our studio on Vashon, which went quickly too. This afternoon, there was a chance to win a ticket to an event honoring Mark Bittman’s new book, How to Cook Everything Fast: A Better Way to Cook Great Food and the launch of Gathered Table. (This new menu planning/grocery delivery service in Seattle is trying to make cooking easier for families. If you join, they create a custom-made weekly dinner plan for you, using your own recipes and their suggestions.) That offer was snapped up so fast from Instagram that the reward was fulfilled before I could publish this post.
Keep an eye on the Kickstarter page and act fast if you see something you like.
* We are launching a new special today, since the private dinner pledge was so popular. We’re offering a private three-course brunch or lunch for 4 at our kitchen studio, on a date that works for you. We’ll tailor it to your food allergies/intolerance and food desires. We’ll also give you 1 box of the All-Purpose Flour mix for each guest and send you home with recipes for everything you ate! This reward could be yours for a pledge of $400.
* Finally, we have more than $40,000 to raise in 2 weeks. We can do it, with a lot of work and with your help.
Could you send the Kickstarter link to 40 people today? People who bake love to share. Please share this with your friends, family, and work colleagues today, if you can. Let them know why this matters to you.
We think we can we think we can we think we can.