Sometimes, I have stories. Often, I have stories. Our daughter is bursting with stories and questions and imaginings and more stories. I listen to her talk about her imaginary brother and his flight to Chicago in the morning to teach a cooking class in a restaurant. Apparently, he’s teaching people how to make spinach and cheese puffs and gumbo. I ask her questions to keep her going and I smile. Since before she was born, Danny and I have been telling her stories and now she’s telling them to us. Goodness.
But today, I don’t really have a story. I mean, I could tell you a story, but at the moment? I know any story would stand between you and this roasted beet salad with dill horseradish vinaigrette that Danny made for us for lunch.
I’ll stop writing now.
I spent decades of my life not liking beets. I grew up on canned beets and I could not understand why anyone liked the things. When I went gluten-free, I decided to try them again. Turns out that I love roasted beets.
When Danny plays in the kitchen, he usually comes up with something that makes me say, "Man, that's fantastic." That's quickly followed by "Wait! Let's write that down." This dill-horseradish vinaigrette was one of those urgently scribbled recipes.
You'll have some of the vinaigrette left over here, perhaps. Enjoy it on roasted chicken, salmon, rice, or shrimp.
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh horseradish
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 roasted baby golden beets (see note below)
- 8 roasted baby red beets
- 4 ounces soft chèvre (goat cheese)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Making the vinaigrette. Combine the dill, parsley, and horseradish in a large jar.
- Put the champagne vinegar, Dijon mustard, and olive oil into a large bowl. With an immersion blender, blend these ingredients together until they are emulsified. Stir this in with the chopped herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Making the salad. Cut the roasted beets into pieces and put them in a bowl. Toss them with some of the dill-horseradish vinaigrette. Put the beets onto a plate and add the goat cheese and hazelnuts. Drizzle with more of the vinaigrette, if you wish.